8:00 AM – Registration, Networking Breakfast & Exhibit Hall Opens
Join us early for the opportunity to enjoy breakfast and network with fellow owners, investors, developers and financiers.
9:00 AM – Opening Remarks & State of the Market
9:10 AM – Morning Keynote: Maria Torres-Springer, President of NYCEDC
President & CEO
9:40 AM – General Session
The Costs Are Too Damn High: Strategies to Mitigate Costs
The high costs of a booming construction industry in NY and NJ have been a huge worry for many developers this year. As land prices, labor and material costs continue to grow, developers need to find new ways to maintain profitability or make radical decisions to go elsewhere. Topics include:
- Labor Costs — Union vs. Non-Union; using PLAs to mitigate costs
- Material Costs — Achieving economies of scale; picking and choosing your flourishes
- Land / Property Acquisition Costs — JV opportunities with sellers
- Insurance Costs — Turning risk management into a profit center
Slate Property Group
10:30 AM – Networking Break
11:00 AM – Concurrent Track A
Play, Work, Live: Transformative Development
Large scale, mixed-use projects are changing neighborhoods around New York creating live, work, play environments that are having massively transformative effects, some intended, some not intended. Learn about the challenges and opportunities of transformative development.
- How are these projects impacting neighborhoods and their growth?
- Which areas of the City are primed for future large mixed-use projects?
- What are the challenges of designing and building transformative projects?
- What are the opportunities surrounding these projects?
- New university projects: what do you need to know?
Michael De Chiara
Zetlin & De Chiara
Chair – Committee on
New York City
Founder & Principal
Janus Property Company
Executive Vice President
Co-Founder & CEO
Bold New York
11:00 AM – Concurrent Track B
The Art, Science and Bottom Line of Innovative Designs & Technologies
Continuous change in design and technology is the only constant, to build competitive infrastructures developers must stay up to date with main innovations in construction design and technologies.
- Triple-bottom line revisited: Resilience, sustainability and wellness
- Residential Innovations: Modular construction, micro-units and more
- Smart Buildings: Internet of things in action
- Design innovations, Safety & Construction Methods
Special Construction Counsel
Brown Hill Development
Head of Design & Construction
Head of Advanced Analytics
CEO & Founder
Heritage Equity Partners
CEO & Co-Founder
Synapse Development Group
11:00 AM – Concurrent Track C
Workshop: The Art of Managing Construction Risks
All construction project owners want a successful project, without the overruns, delays, conflicts and surprises which are so common on construction projects. This workshop identifies the four primary risk areas on construction projects and examines how owners can minimize these risks to achieve a successful project. The workshop will address the following topics:
- Successful construction projects
- Construction project relationships, delivery formats and contract structures
- Risk No. 1 – Cost Overruns
- Risk No. 2 – Defects, Failures and Nonconformities
- Risk No. 3 – Differing Site Conditions
- Risk No. 4 – Delay
Co-Chair – National Construction Law Practice
11:50 AM – Concurrent Track A
Ask Not What You Can Do: Government Regulation & Policy Roundup
Understanding how newly passed laws, pending bills and recent court rulings are affecting the industry is key to success in the real estate development and construction. Hear from government officials, experienced developers and legal professionals about:
- What is government doing to help alleviate development constraints?
- Digging into the Nuances of the 421a Tax Abatement Program
- Affordable housing, Fair Housing Act and the Supreme Court’s recent rulings
- Changing Labor Law 240 and regulations that drive up costs
Chair – ConstructionPractice Group
New York City
EVP – Planning, Development, & Transportation
Board of Standards
11:50 AM – Concurrent Track B
Clash of the Titans: Global & Local Economic Issues affecting Construction Financing
This panel will address on how industry professionals are adjusting to the current economic issues and its effect on construction financing. Speakers will cover:
- National and International Economic Uncertainty
- Preparing for Higher Interest Rates and Changing Loan Terms
- Who is Lending on Construction Projects Today
- Managing Your Risk Exposure
Partner & Director – Development
Executive Vice President
12:40 PM – Networking Lunch
1:30 PM – Special Presentation
JDS Development Group
1:50 PM – General Session
Crystal Ball 2016: Where Do We Go from Here?
Join top developers in the New York market as they discuss what is the future for development and construction in the city.
- Putting It All Together: What does 2016 hold for construction & development?
- Next Generation Developers: Who are the development leaders of the future?
- Beyond NYC: Where are developers looking for opportunity?
- Within NYC: What opportunities remain in an overheating market?
Director – Construction
Wonder Works Construction
President & CEO
Yard Development Corporation
2:35 PM – Afternoon Keynote: Larry Silverstein, Chairman of Silverstein Properties
3:00 PM – Refreshments & Networking
Stick around to enjoy the post-event cocktail reception while mingling with the area’s most successful real estate principals.