Avidan Management Receives Urban Green Council’s Prestigious EBie Award
EDISON, N.J. (Aug. 29, 2012) —Avidan Management, one of the region’s foremost owners and managers of industrial and commercial real estate, today announced that it has been named as a recipient of a 2012 EBie Award. Bestowed by the U.S. Green Building Council’s New York chapter, Urban Green Council, the EBie Awards are a new nationwide, juried competition that recognizes significant and measurable environmental performance improvements in existing buildings among building owners and operators, property managers, engineers, consultants, retro-commissioning agents and lighting designers.
At an Oscars-style award show held at the Hard Rock Café in Times Square, the Urban Green Council announced that Avidan Management received “The Reformed Gas Guzzler” EBie Award. Recognizing the building with the highest percentage of energy savings, “The Reformed Gas Guzzler” award was bestowed upon Avidan for its sustainability upgrades at 145 Talmadge Road, the firm’s 656,255-square-foot warehouse and office complex in Edison, N.J.
Last year, Avidan completed a 4.26-megawatt solar power installation and other energy efficiency upgrades at 145 Talmadge Road. The solar project consists of 17,745 panels and was the largest rooftop-mounted installation to have been completed in the entire country at the time. To date, the installation has produced more than 7.7 million kilowatt-hours — enough energy to service half of the power needs of the building's multiple tenants, which utilize the facility as office space and for storage of dry goods and refrigerated and frozen foods. The total cost of the installation was roughly $22 million, and approximately 120 jobs were created during the construction process.
Avidan further enhanced the sustainability of 145 Talmadge Road by completing a comprehensive retrofit of the building to maximize the facility's overall energy efficiency.
"We are thankful that the Urban Green Council has recognized 145 Talmadge Road with this honor, and we'd like to acknowledge the work of our project collaborators — Solar World, Solar Nation and Haglid Engineering & Associates — as well as the Board of Public Utilities, PSE&G, and numerous other state and local officials," said Avi Avidan, Managing Member of Avidan Management. "By generating electricity through alternative means and maximizing the facility's energy efficiency, we potentially reduce the site's carbon footprint by 50 percent, and the addition of automation controls on the refrigeration equipment also has greatly contributed to the building's energy savings. This benefits our tenant base and is part of our ongoing dedication to responsible business practices."
Partnering with Haglid Engineering & Associates, Inc., Avidan took part in Pay For Performance — a comprehensive energy efficiency program administered by New Jersey's Clean Energy Program that provides incentives towards whole-building energy improvements. Haglid developed an energy reduction plan for 145 Talmadge Road, identifying performance goals that would help the building achieve substantial energy savings.
Energy efficiency upgrades completed at 145 Talmadge Road in 2011 include:
· Improving the envelope of the building and achieving an R-30 insulation value
· Creating a barrier wall separating the loading dock area from the main warehouse area in the cooler/freezer areas only
· Installing high-speed cooler/freezer doors in the separation wall so that the doors now move 100 inches per second
· Installing energy-efficient lighting with motion sensors
· Reworking existing refrigeration equipment to run more efficiently and maintain temperature more consistently throughout the warehouse
· Installing automation controls on the refrigeration equipment, energy-efficient heaters in the dry warehouse areas and energy recovery (ERV) units to improve HVAC efficiency in office areas and improve indoor air quality
In total, 67 EBie Award entries were received and narrowed down to 14 finalist projects. Finalists were selected by an all-star panel of distinguished jurors composed of leaders in real estate, sustainability, finance, architecture, academia and government. Members of the jury included:
· Ron Auriana, Director of Global Facilities and Design, Bloomberg
· Dana L. Bourland, AICP, Vice President of Green Initiatives, Enterprise Community Partners, Inc.
· Duane Desiderio, Vice President and Counsel, The Real Estate Roundtable
· Dr. Constantine E. Kontokosta, PE, AICP, LEED AP, Director and Clinical Associate, Professor of Real Estate, NYU Center for the Sustainable Built Environment
· Sukanya Paciorek, Vice President, Corporate Sustainability, Vornado Realty Trust
· Chrissa Pagitsas, Green Initiative Program Manager, Multifamily Risk, Fannie Mae
· Rafael Pelli, Partner, Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects
· Mike Zatz, Chief, Market Sectors Group, ENERGY STAR Commercial & Industrial Branch, US Environmental Protection Agency
For information on availabilities at 145 Talmadge Road and other Avidan Management-owned properties, please call 908-527-8000.
About Avidan Management
Avidan Management, based in Elizabeth, N.J., is a family-owned and operated real estate company with deep roots in northern New Jersey. Throughout its 40-year history, the Company has built a strong track as a premier owner and manager of best-in-class, strategically located industrial and commercial properties, including warehouse and distribution facilities that service the major population centers in the Northeast. The company’s portfolio is comprised of nine facilities with a combined total of nearly three million square feet of space. For more information, visit www.avidanmgmt.com.